VANCOUVER -- Canada has set a goal of finishing first in the overall medal standings at the Sochi Winter Olympics. [url=http://w

in Staff Applications - Post HERE! Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 am
by jokergreen0220 • 560 Posts

VANCOUVER -- Canada has set a goal of finishing first in the overall medal standings at the Sochi Winter Olympics. Tanner Pearson Jersey . Snowboarders will in all likelihood have to play a key role if theres any chance of meeting that lofty target. The first five members of the Canadian contingent heading to Sochi next month were unveiled Friday, led by a three-time Olympian and an unlikely superstar from the Prairies. "We definitely have an amazing group and an amazing team and to be a part of it is great," said Maelle Ricker, who won gold in snowboard cross at the 2010 Olympics. "We have strong athletes in all the disciplines and Im very honoured and excited." Sochi will be Rickers third Games, but at age 35, the West Vancouver, B.C., native is still seen as a favourite in her event where competitors race down a course side-by-side. "I would love to perform at my best (again)," she said after Fridays news conference. "Definitely every time I put my snowboard on thats what Im aiming to do and hopefully we get some good results because of it." Apart from Ricker, another Canadian expected to contend for a medal is Mark McMorris. The 20-year-old from Regina is the two-time defending Winter X Games champion in slopestyle, an acrobatic snowboard discipline set to make its Olympic debut in Sochi. "It feels amazing," McMorris said of being named to the Canadian team. "Its going to be a fun time. Ive been preparing like a mad man and I think Im ready." Other rookie Olympians named to Canadas squad were Sebastien Toutant of LAssomption, Que., Spencer OBrien of Courtenay, B.C., and Calgarys Chris Robanske. Toutant and OBrien will compete in slopestyle, while Robanske is entered in snowboard cross. The rest of the team will be named Jan. 21. Canada won 26 medals -- including three in snowboard -- at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, good for third behind the United States (37) and Germany (30). An even bigger performance will be required in Russia to accomplish the Canadian Olympic Committees goal of finishing first. "If we say we dont want to be No. 1, were striving for mediocrity and were not going to do that. We will strive to be the best," said Canadian chef de mission Steve Podborski, who won bronze in mens downhill skiing at the 1980 Olympics. "When we went into (the 2006 Games), we had no notion that we could strive to be No. 1 and now we are looking at that. "So why not? Its going to be tough, maybe impossible, but you strive for impossible dreams." The laid-back McMorris doesnt put any added emphasis on his own performance when overall team goals are mentioned. "Whenever anybody looks at you to win theres pressure," he said. "Ive been able to have a lot of success over the last three years and consistently podium or win events. "Im in one event and my goal is to win a gold medal and if I do so, that will be a big help." With the Olympics set to begin Feb. 7, OBrien said shes looking forward to being part of a team after competing for years as an individual. "Theres definitely a lot of expectations, especially on me, Mark, Seb, Maelle, everyone thats been performing so well these last of couple years," said the 25-year-old. "I think its really special. Its a unique experience to have your country behind you." OBrien won gold in womens slopestyle at last years world championship, but added the Games are on another level. "An Olympic medal, youre winning it for your country, youre not just winning it for yourself," she said. "Its such a special opportunity and Id like nothing more than to bring one back to Canada." The Olympics werent even on the 21-year-old Toutants radar until it was announced that slopestyle would be included at Sochi. "Were used to competing in front of a lot of people and a lot of cameras, but we compete for sponsors and we compete for ourselves," he said. "To be able to compete for your country is huge. "The world is going to be watching." Podborski said there will be "enormous challenges" facing athletes in Sochi, but stressed the level of Canadian sport has come a long way since he competed more than three decades ago. "These athletes are the finest our country can produce," he said. "These are sophisticated, world-class athletes and I expect them to do very, very well." Los Angeles Kings Jerseys . Louis, MO (SportsNetwork. Mike Cammalleri Jersey . The team announced the defensive coordinator will not be offered a contract extension. http://www.officialkingshockey.com/Nick-Shore-Jersey/ . The Missouri Tigers Defensive End and SEC Defensive player of the year is eligible for the upcoming NFL draft in May.SAN DIEGO -- Philip Rivers and the San Diego Chargers slowly put to rest all that talk about Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts offence. It was hard for Luck to pull off another comeback, or even get into the end zone, while standing on the sideline. Rivers threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to rookie Keenan Allen and Nick Novak kicked four field goals to give the Chargers a 19-9 victory against the Colts on Monday night. "I wasnt sure who the Colts were playing this week all the ads I saw," Rivers said, noting that all the pregame buzz surrounded the Colts (4-2), not the Bolts (3-3). Rivers expertly guided a balanced offence on three scoring drives of at least 74 yards while rebounding from a three-interception performance in a dismal loss at Oakland. That, and a lot of dropped passes by Colts receivers, kept Indianapolis (4-2) from taking a two-game lead over Tennessee in the AFC South. The Colts didnt even score a touchdown. All their points came on three field goals by Adam Vinatieri. A week earlier, Luck helped rally the Colts to a 34-28 victory against Seattle. "We knew if we didnt turn the ball over and we sustained drives, which we did -- we had some 12, 14, 16-play drives -- that wed give ourselves a chance to win," Rivers said. "We didnt go into the game saying Lets play ball control, Rivers added. "We wanted to score as many points as we could. We didnt score that many, but we did sustain drives. I thought Keenan Allen stepped up big. They were doubling Gatesy (Antonio Gates) a lot, and Danny Woodhead stepped up big. The offensive line was great. Thats the way we need to be able to run the football. If we can mix the run in, we got a chance." Luck had no real chance against the Bolts because of two long drives in the second quarter that helped contribute to the Chargers dominating the time of possession 38 minutes, 31 seconds to 21:29. Allen got behind safety Delano Howell and cornerback Vontae Davis on a post route for the TD, completing a 12-play, 74-yard march that took 6:14 and gave San Diego a 7-3 lead. It was Allens second TD catch of the season. Novaks first field goal capped a drive that went 79 yards in 17 plays in 7:58. The drive was kept alive when cornerback Greg Toler was whistled for illegal contact for pushing receiver Lavelle Hawkins out of bounds on third-and-6 from the Chargers 45. Luck then completed four straight passes to move the Colts into Chargers territory before Coby Fleeener dropped a pass at the 25. Oscar Fantenberg Jersey. Luck scrambled for 6 yards and threw an incompletion before Vinatieri kicked a 50-yard field goal as time expired. On the Colts only other possession of the second quarter, Darrius Heyward-Bey dropped what likely would have been a long touchdown pass down the right sideline. "We stunk on third down today," Luck said. "A lot of credit to their defence. I think we made our fair share of mistakes, but I think its what they did. If we cant convert third downs and drives continually stall like that, its a short rest for our defence and no points for us, so its a bad combination." Novak also had field goals of 33, 34 and 50 yards, with the final one coming with 1:55 left. Vinatieri had kicks of 30, 50 and 51 yards. Chargers cornerback Derek Cox snuffed out Indys final chance when he intercepted a pass that was tipped by receiver Reggie Wayne with 1:07 to play. Rivers was 22 of 33 for 237 yards and no interceptions. Luck was 18 of 30 for 202 yards. Wayne got his 1,000th career reception in the fourth quarter on a 21-yard pass from Luck. Wayne had five catches for 88 yards, giving him 1,001 for his career. He passed Hines Ward (1,000) for eighth place on the NFL list. "Its a great honour," Wayne said. "Its a humbling experience to be in an elite class with a bunch of guys who have helped pave the way for guys like myself. I wish it was more of a greater celebration. I would rather take the W than any accolades." The Colts opened the game with a flea-flicker, with Trent Richardson taking the handoff and tossing the ball back to Luck, who completed a 35-yard pass to Wayne. The drive bogged down at the Chargers 11, leading to Vinatieris 30-yard field goal. San Diego established its running game with 147 yards. Ryan Mathews ran for 102 yards on 22 carries for his first 100-yard game of the season. There were family ties in this one: Chargers defensive co-ordinator John Pagano beat older brother Chuck, the Colts coach. "Give John Pagano the credit he deserves," Chargers coach Mike McCoy said. "He did an outstanding job of getting these players ready. Its him and the rest of the whole defensive staff." NOTES: Chargers WR Eddie Royal left with a toe injury in the second quarter but returned later in the game. ... Chargers LG Johnnie Troutman was injured in the second half and also returned. ... Colts ILB Jerrell Freeman sustained a concussion in the first half. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: vaperslegion
Board Statistics
The forum has 24716 topics and 25570 posts.