KONIGSSEE, Germany -- Tristan Walker and Justin Snith reached the World Cup podium Saturday and made Canadian luge history in th

in Staff Applications - Post HERE! Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 am
by jokergreen0220 • 884 Posts

KONIGSSEE, Germany -- Tristan Walker and Justin Snith reached the World Cup podium Saturday and made Canadian luge history in the process. Tyrell Adams Jersey . Walker, from Cochrane, Alta., and Snith, from Calgary finished third to become the first Canadian duo to win a medal in mens doubles. Earlier, Calgarys Alex Gough won her fourth medal of the season by taking bronze in the womens event. It was the first time that Canada has won two individual medals on the same day at a luge World Cup. "It was a fantastic day for our team and a rock-solid week," said head coach Wolfgang Staudinger. In the womens race, Germanys Natalie Geisenberger earned her sixth victory in as many tries this season. She rallied in the second heat to beat teammate Tatjana Huefner by 0.105 seconds, winning with a two-run time of 1:40.591. Gough was 0.331 seconds off the lead in third place. Kim McRae was fifth and Arianne Jones, also from Calgary, was 12th. In the mens race, Tobias Wendl and Tobias Arlt won gold in 1:39.956 for their fifth win in six races this season. Fellow Germans Toni Eggert and Sascha Benecken slid to silver in 1:40.253 and Walker and Snith were third in 1:40.709. Walker and Snith, both 22, have finished fourth on four occasions, including at the 2013 world championships. "It is awesome and especially to do it here in Konigssee which is a home away from home for us," said Walker. "We spend a lot of time here, and it is always the first place we go to after Christmas. I had a feeling when wed finally do it that it would be either here or in Canada. "It was pretty tense watching the splits come down the track. Standing in the leaders box it was a feeling of relief and excitement." They were in fourth place after the first trip down the 11-corner Konigssee track. In a sport that demands consistency, the Canadian duo clocked nearly identical times of 50.359 and 50.350 to move up to third. "I just cant believe it," said Snith. "Im at a loss for words. It is so nice to see the hard work that we have put in pay off. Its just huge for us to get a podium before Sochi. We knew we could be there, but to actually do it is nice confirmation." In the womens singles, Gough reached the podium despite sitting in fifth spot after her first run. Gough, who is preparing for her third Olympic appearance, now has 15 career World Cup medals. "I didnt have the best first run, but I did put it together on the second run," she said. "That has been kind of the theme of the year for me. But it was such a good day for our team. Its so exciting and awesome to see that everyone can be there and fantastic to see the doubles team finally do it." With the win, Geisenberger is on the cusp of wrapping up the points title with three races remaining. She has 600 points, 199 better than Gough with three races left. Staudinger, who is from Konigssee, was recruited to the Canadian program nearly eight years ago from the German program. He was thrilled with the teams progress. "It was great for Alex to get back on the podium and it was even better to see Kim continue to grow and show she can be there with the best at the start and finish," he said. "The doubles finally did it. They were overdue. To be fourth over and over again, you know it is just a matter of time and great to see it happen. "Wow -- it was a great day for us." Wendl and Arlt lead Eggert and Benecken by 140 points in the mens doubles season standings. Walker and Snith are seventh. Competition continues Sunday. Bruce Irvin Jersey . The Maple Leafs handed their embattled head coach a two-year contract extension on Thursday, while at the same time announcing that assistants Dave Farrish, Greg Cronin and Scott Gordon will not be back. Obi Melifonwu Jersey . He says he will have the operation Wednesday and be ready in time for training camp in September. Bernier missed five games in March due to the injury. http://www.authenticraidersfansclub.com/customized/ . According to Dave Stubbs of The Montreal Gazette, preliminary talks have begun between Markov - an unrestricted free agent this summer - and general manager Marc Bergevin.TSN football analyst Chris Schultz is back with his Week 14 selections in the CFL. The Big Man finished 2-2 in Week 13, and sits at 33-20 on the season. Now Schultz is ready for more action. Montreal at Ottawa A couple of questions here. First, can the RedBlacks build off the performance of last Sunday and the 35-32 loss? I say yes. Scoring 32 points on a Riders defence is a significant accomplishment and the game really came down to a couple of poor decisions by Henry Burris late in the game and overtime. With the good play of Tino Sunseri in the second half, you can put to rest all the Burris to the Riders trade rumors. And to a similar degree, you can stop the is Jonathan Crompton the man conversations. He is for this week. At 1-10, Ottawa might look at this season as a complete disaster if they were not an expansion team. But it is not. Ottawa will go into this one hungry, especially in an effort to give their fans just the second win at home. Just keep improving, Ottawa and the wins will begin. Montreal will play to keep with all in the West and logic says they win. But I will dismiss logic as irrelevant and say... Ottawa over Montreal at TD Place. Saskatchewan at Edmonton This is a good one, a tough one to pick and maybe the best one of Week 13. As much as Tino Sunseri responded in the second half against 0ttawa, it took him a half to do it. On the road against a better defence in Edmonton, it will be tougher to create that type of success. Adarius Bowman had a nightmare of a game against Hamilton. He has to answer questions about it all week and watch it over and over and over in video review on Monday. He still leads the CFL in receiving yards so all football logic says he will respond with a great game again. Eddie Vanderdoes Jersey. He is too physically gifted and too motivated not to. The Eskimos have lost three of four and what was a possible division-winning team is now looking like a division playoff team. Bowman will respond and so will Edmonton. Edmonton ties the Riders in the West at 9-4. Hamilton at Winnipeg Both teams will come into this one confident for different reasons. For Winnipeg, the confidence will be coming off the bye week with time to rejuvenate and reassess where they have been and where they are going. If Drew Willy is starting, that would be amazing considering the intensity of his shoulder injury but most likely, it will be Brian Brohm. For Hamilton, they are on a roll, winning three in a row at Tim Hortons Field and the 38-31 loss in Montreal back on September 7 was a game they could have won. If Willy was starting with a week of practice, I would take the Bombers in a classic fourth quarter comeback game. But I dont think he is, therefore I cant. Hamilton BC at Calgary Tough one. BC is coming off a 40-23 loss and Calgary is coming off a 31-15 loss. The Stampeders have only one loss by one point to one team at home and that team is BC. Drew Tate had only 15 completions last week, but his second start should be better than his first. At 7-5, the Lions are only one game ahead of Winnipeg at 6-6. Both teams need the win but only one team can get it. An 11th win for Calgary or an eighth win for BC. Which will it be... which will it be? Think, think, think... I got it. Calgary by 3 Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys China Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys 2018 NFL Jerseys Wholesale Cheap Jerseys China ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: joshuisinnott
Board Statistics
The forum has 31079 topics and 32072 posts.